Monday, June 7, 2010

Will computers ever replace teachers???


http://tiger.towson.edu/~sharre2/images/technologygraphic.jpg

My brother always tries to tell me that someday there will be a time where a lot of teachers won't be needed because computers will take over. I personally think there will always be a need for teachers, but then again I don't want to lose my job:) Awhile back when I was at home visiting my parents I read an interesting article in the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier about a new performance based diploma academy for students that are "digital" learners. This academy is literally taking away the teacher and replacing him/her with a computer program that teaches them the concepts digitally and allows them to work at their own pace. Of course there is one teacher supervising the group of kids but it makes you wonder, can computers replace teachers? The program targets those that are failing or on the verge of dropping out of school as another alternative for getting the education needed. While this concept is a great idea I feel that those who study hard in school to get good grades and are also digital learners are being left out of this opportunity. Both Waterloo high schools have had a huge success rate with this program, but the only downfall is that students aren't getting the writing and science lab requirements needed through the program.

5 comments:

  1. I agree that digital learning may be the way to go for some of these students. And, in high school, it may be the wave of the future for many. But, I don't think that teachers will ever be totally replaced. In the elementary years, those students will always need hands-on learning, I believe. But, who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also add that behind those great "teaching computers" is a teacher who has to design the program. We are heading into an era where the teachers are in the classroom and behind the design of educational technology - no longer are we just inputting our knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True, Blammers. And Chelsey, our alternative high school sounds just like what you describe. And my thought is that it is certainly better than no diploma (competing against non-competition). However, it does take discipline and dedication to complete, and so often THAT is the element that students lack and thus fail. So, where does the motivation come from when they switch to the digital mode? That's a mystery to me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to teach in a high school dropout recovery program in East Los Angeles. We had a Learning Management System called PLATO. It is still around. http://www.studyweb.com/

    I was a PLATO lab manager (as well as a secondary teacher who met with students every week.) It was primarily Drill-and-Kill. Students progressed through many hours of diligent work.

    I believe that there will always be teachers. I don't want to see teachers up front teaching. I want to see students in the center learning - but it takes an educational professional to orchestrate the learning.

    Z

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one huge diagram. I like it.

    ReplyDelete