Sunday, May 23, 2010

Computers and Internet


My first discussion topic for one of my questions was to write about myself and how I use technology. I made the comment that when I'm teaching social studies it's hard for me to say a computer is a want and not a need. In my life I feel as though it's a need, not just for the internet but for the Microsoft Word components as well. I type much faster than I write and for someone who doesn't draw very well I can make a nice clean circle! Is it a need though?? The definition of a need for second graders is something you need to live/survive. Another definition from Longman Online Dictionary is "to have to have something or someone, because you cannot do something without them, or because you cannot continue or cannot exist without them". Can we exist without computers???? One could argue that they did so many years ago and we can do it again. Can you imagine life without computers??? I can't! Think about how much slower everything would take. Right now it takes me two minutes to check my bank account online and make sure it's balance (that's if I haven't made any mistakes:)) Before online backing it would take me a lot longer because first of all I had to wait every month to get the statement. We can also think about the number of trees computers save us from chopping down. Who needs to write a letter to someone when you can e-mail them!

My professor asked a really good question in response to my discussion topic, is the internet a right or a privilege? My response was: I think if you are the one paying for the internet service it is a right, but if you aren't paying for the service then it's a privilege. I think some people go into libraries and abuse their right to be on the internet by acting inappropriately with kids around. I also think someone could argue their 1st amendment rights and say that the internet is a right for them. I think this question is a great discussion question and I'm sure lots of people have their own opinion on the topic.

Articles you may want to read about this issue:

http://www.progress.org/cfaccess.htm

http://tinyurl.com/26mjdqs





Photo Courtesy of http://newsinhealth.nih.gov/images/Human-Behavior.gif

2 comments:

  1. Chelsea--your post is so interesting. My husband and I were just discussing want v. needs since he has lost his job. We wrote down ALL of our monthly expenses and discussed what we could do without. Cable TV? Internet? Cell phones? I have to admit, they all seemed like needs to us. Now with this class, internet is a MUST. Keep posting! I enjoy your insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couple of things:
    CathyO - Perhaps you can change your needs. If you keep Internet, there are ways you can fulfill your TV needs. Hulu.com. TED.com I know of some folks who watch EVERYTHING from the internet.

    Chelsey - I like how you are using this blog to reflect on previous postings and readers' responses to them. That is what this is about. I would suggest that you include live links to resources like your quotation to provide more depth to your postings.

    Z
    http://drzreflects.com

    ReplyDelete